I was raised a Christian.  I learned to pray as soon as I was able to talk.  I learned about things like “faith” and “inspiration” by the time I was three or four years old.  As a result, I believe that I have enjoyed my life far more than most people do.  I learned at a very young age that I could pray for comfort when I was scared, and I could pray to find a toy that I had lost.  Somehow, I was always comforted, and perhaps even more miraculously, I always found my lost treasures (toys).

While growing up with this type of understanding was clearly an advantage for me, it has been extremely refreshing to relearn some of the principles as an adult– and using different words to describe the principles.  The problem with learning how to pray at such a young age is that I grew up assuming that I understood what prayer really was.  Because I assumed that I already knew how to pray, I never felt the need to discover meditation or ridding the mind of “clutter” before and during prayer.  I assumed I knew how to pray and receive answers to those prayers, and because of that belief, I never spent the time to go beyond the very basics of prayer.  Similarly, I never spent time trying to really identify other important principles like faith.

In teaching the law of attraction, I’ve found it very useful to use the Bible and at times to bounce back and forth between “church vocabulary” and “new-age movement vocabulary.”  I’ve found that when Christians see the principles clearly, they are able to overcome some of their assumptions about God and religion, and inevitably the relationship they have with Divinity is strengthened enormously.  This post is for anyone who believes in Christ, but doesn’t know if the law of attraction is real.

The premise of the law of attraction is a request-with-a-promise found dozens of times throughout the bible: “ask and ye shall receive.”  The King James Version of the Bible says in Matthew 21:22 “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.”  The “secret” or law of attraction says that anything you think about long enough and with enough emotion, you will attract to you.  In other words, ask and it is given.  If someone were to be born in some far away land, and never once read the Bible, would they still have access to that blessing described throughout the Bible?  Should they be able to receive anything they want badly enough that they would pray for it and believe it is coming if they knew how to pray?  I believe in a just and loving God, and I believe that God creates perfect systems to run the universe.  If there is a promise so clearly and commonly laid out in the Bible that says “ask and you shall receive,” I believe that the promise is valid for anyone on earth who asks.  Of course God created a system to allow His promises to be fulfilled, and somehow in this magical universe, we vibrate on frequencies that attract back to us our true desires.

So why is it that so many people pray for things they want, and don’t seem to get answers?  Why is it that so many people pray for success, but continue to fail?  If you ask a preacher, 99 times out of 100, he or she is going to tell you the answer lies in the word “faith.”  James 1:6 says “But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering.”  Again, I learned the word faith when I was too young to be able to analyze what it really meant.  So all these years I always assumed I knew what faith was.  Teaching the law of attraction has truly opened my eyes here.  Many teachers of the law of attraction talk about subconscious limiting beliefs and counter intentions that keep people from attracting the very things that they consciously desire.  Christ taught that “perfect faith casteth out fear” (1st John 4:18).  Limiting beliefs are often described more simply as “fear.”  In order to have true faith, you need to be rid of your internal fear.  Fear and faith cannot occupy the same space in your mind or in your soul.  In church I was taught to “have more faith” all the time, but no one ever really taught me how to build faith.  Now I realize that removing fear and replacing that space with trust is faith.  I’ve learned to trust the inspiration I feel.  Because I trust those promptings, I can act without fear.

The law of attraction also touches on the idea that if your vibrational state, or your internal energy, raises to a new, higher level, then the world around you will magically change to fit that vibration.  Conversely, if you operate on a lower vibrational frequency, your surroundings will match that as well.  I’ve spoken with some people who, before speaking with me, felt like this obvious contradiction by itself proved that the whole premise of the law of attraction was flawed.  The best way to to help these people is with a scripture from the Bible.  Titus 1:15 explains “To the pure all things are pure: but to them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.”  I think that is amazing.  A person with a pure heart can be in the same geographical location as another with a defiled soul.  The pure will see and experience nothing but purity, and in the exact same physical environment, the defiled will see and experience nothing but filth.

The great justice (and at the same time, mercy) in all of this is that we are in the driver’s seat.  If you want to be pure, if you want a better life, it is completely up to you.  When life gets so difficult that you decide you don’t want to continue living the way you are, you will naturally begin to curse life, possibly curse God, and decide that something’s got to change.  You can question your beliefs, you can question your fears.  You can decide to ask for a better life, and then acting accordingly.  As you remove each fear that gets in the way of faith, you co-create a better life for yourself.

I realize I’m leaving a lot out of the equation, we could make this far more complex, but ultimately I believe that Christ was the most effective teacher of the law of attraction.  The law of attraction is taught all throughout the Bible.  If you want to have  a better life, declare it!  Decide what you want.  Be as clear as possible.  If you know how to pray, pray for it.  If you don’t, click here to learn how.  Once you decide what you want, start listening for inspiration from the Divine.  It is already coming to you, and as soon as you are ready to hear and listen, you can receive.  As long as you have removed the fears that keep you from acting on that inspiration, you will act.  Without faith you will not act on the promptings.  But with faith, you will act, and following that inspiration will lead you to the life you have asked for.

29 Responses to The Law Of Attraction in the Bible

1. Cristie says:

Steve, I’m learning so many awesome applications as I read your wise posts. Thank you!

2. [...] Steve – June 21, 2011Posted in: Law Of Attraction, Your Superpowers ShareAfter my post on Christianity and the law of attraction, someone sent an email and humbly asked me “how do you pray?”  I was touched.  In [...]

3. Christian says:

I love how you tie in the references from the New Testament to explain Law of Attraction principles. Thank you Steve!

4. Heather says:

I think explanations like this make the law of attraction accessible to the masses…suddenly the light may turn on and people might successfully connect divinity and faith with their intentions. Great insight as usual Steve. Congrats on the new endorsement too!

5. Eva says:

Steve,
    Thank you…. words I need to know

6. Great post Steve. The Law of Attraction has lead me to your site and I am very grateful.

7. BETTY JO says:

So, in essence, prayer is to you, what animals are to me.
    I never thought on my own that animals, no matter how wild, would hurt me. This maybe true because I read in the BIBLE where the lion lays down with the lamb, and we are the sheep of the true SHEPHERD. This is definitely helping more put relating it to the BIBLE. Thank You, Steve for helping me RE-focus on the NATURE OF GOD.

IN SUCCESS AND TRUTH,
    Betty Jo

8. As I hope I have charted throughout these blog posts, I have taken the insecurities and self doubts within myself and begun to own them.

9. inhighTaliavy says:

Hello! Just want to say thank you for this interesting article! =) Peace, Joy.

10. Sal says:

These words have been a tremendous help.

11. ntwenhle says:

It is so great to hear this because this is exactly how I felt wen watmching the clip from the law of attraction.My mom always said to me that people who aren’t even christians are able to eat the fruits of christianity by appling the WORD through just undrstanding Gods universe and us christians reject it sometimes.The earth is the Lords and everything in it even the way it functions and works.Through this Iam knw at the skul Ive always wanted to be I was accepted just yesterday.Jesus is Lord.

12. Mei says:

thank you Steve for sharing your beautiful thought. God bless you

13. Jenna says:

As a Christian, I enjoyed watching the show “The Secret” on Netflix. I always believed that negative people bring negative things into their lives and positive people bring positive things because I see it all the time. Negative people are more sick, poorer, and never do anything new or different because they don’t feel it will work for them, hence the negativity continues. I started to think about what the bible says and did a little research. “Ask and you will receive” popped up in so many ways and words. I believe in this concept because I believe it is biblical, the “universe” just needs to be replaced with God. Thank you for your post! I enjoyed it.

14. [...] in the discussion, it is possible to learn a lot about different world views. A discussion of the Law of Attraction in the Bible, with both believers and non-believers alike tends, to take on a life of its [...]

15. [...] you are losing hope and need some way to regain your focus in your life, then consider applying the law of attraction in the Bible to help you do so. The key to feeling more positive is certain to rest in changing your attitude [...]

16. Hi Steve, I truly believe that positivity and New Age Movement thinking plays a large role in our happiness and successes. I had a couple thoughts about your blog that I wrote about in mine. Some of the principles that you talk about, though true, can very easily be misinterpreted. I’d say my response is simply a footnote to yours. God bless you and continue to inspire people!

17. People of all faiths benefit from learning how the universal law of attraction works, and how they can consciously use it to improve their lives. Given the knowledge to use the tools available to us, we can achieve miracles.

18. kim says:

I have a question that has lead me to be confused about law of attraction,there is a post that I saw about law of attraction being evil and that God wants us to pray and have only one God!when we pray we should have faith in him only!because if we using the law of attraction won’t we be asking the universe,is the universe God!and then there’s evil using this law of attraction ,I don’t wish for people to follow law of attraction if its satans work!God said ask and you shall receive through prayer!not sittng down think of millions in ur bank account!I don’t want to follow satan and if this LOA is satans work!better die poor,please make sense to ma confusion

19. kim says:

Isn’t this LOA for satan work,cause yes he said ask and you shall receive but didn’t say pretend that you have money,or job and you let go to the universe and all will be well!prayer is the one!I wish to be wealthy or have money that I will do what I want but really don’t want to go to hell!make me understand that law of attraction is Gods work!

• Steve says:

Kim,

I think you have expressed a common concern. Others are scared out of studying these materials for similar reasons. I’ve written several articles reconciling Christianity with the Law of Attraction, and I’d invite you to read them all. In the meantime, keep praying for the things you desire (you mentioned “ask and ye shall receive through prayer”), and do your best to follow inspiration as it comes to you. Believe it or not, that is how we “attract” or “create” the life we want. Best of luck to you!

20. Irene says:

Steve thank you for making clear this subject matter of the Law of attraction. i have recently discovered it and started using it i even bought jack cankfield chicken soup for the soul. have read the secret and started applying those principles however along the way i felt guilty that the principles are not christian like especially meditation and i stopped completely. just now a thought came to me to find out if it is wrong to use it. you have dispelled my fears because when i started using it i also understood that this is what is being applied in the new testament. thank you so much may Our Father continue to bless you.

21. Irene says:

i have also watched bob proctors videos he is good. i have used meditation material and others for a little while until i felt guilty and stopped abruptly.

• Steve says:

Irene,

thank you for commenting! Comments like yours make me grateful I wrote the articles. Please start meditating again! There is plenty of biblical support for meditation, and even more scientific support! It is a wonderful habit to form.
      expect miracles,

Steve

22. Irene says:

thank you Steve will certainly do that.

23. Steve says:

glad you liked it, I’d love to hear more about your research!

24. Steve says:

we all have our own individual paths to discovery, I hope my posts can continue to be helpful for you.